A blog about the trials and tribulations of a new teacher


Friday, October 1, 2010

One Disadvantage to Catholic Schools

One thing I remember from being in Catholic school was free dress day. Those wondrous and magical days in which we were allowed to shed those HORRIBLE plaid uniforms and show off the clothes we never got to wear. These days were usually reserved as a reward of some kind and they were received as such.

Although I was always suuuper excited to show off my "weekend clothes" to my friends, there was also a sense of anxiety. "WHAT SHOULD I WEAR???!!!" Haha

Uniforms are convenient, easy, and create a sense of equality among students. One thing they do not do is create any kind of fashion sense whatsoever.

This past week, due to the excessive heat, our school has had free dress. During these past three days, I have noticed that there is no saving the majority of my students from the fashion police. Choosing your favorite articles of clothing is fantastic. Pairing stripes with polka-dots...not so much. While it's endearing to see students walking around with orange shorts and pink tops, I don't think they are quite up to par with their public-school counterparts. Albeit, they get to practice dressing themselves everyday, but still...

xxOOxx

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?