A blog about the trials and tribulations of a new teacher


Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Facebook and Teaching

Okay. I have a serious question for you...

Would you send a friend request to your child's teacher?
...
...
Weird, huh?
I thought so. I got a friend request from a parent I met at back to school night about a month ago. I was kind of shocked. I had never met this person before and wondered why she wanted to be my friend on Facebook. I let the request sit in my inbox, in fact, it's still there.

I don't want to be rude, but at the same time, she doesn't need to know what I did over the weekend or that I played hooky from work to go to the beach. I post random stuff and I don't think its professional to befriend students OR their parents (apparently) on social websites. I mean, do they REALLY need to see me dressed up as a lion for halloween? I don't think so.

What do you think?

xxOOxx

1 comment:

  1. I completely agree with you Ashley! No way should we accept the friendship online. We have to learn to keep our personal life separate! I have a few co-workers who do have many of their students and parents and I just don't understand it! My advice: Just let it sit there.....xoxo

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?