A blog about the trials and tribulations of a new teacher


Friday, September 30, 2011

Cheating

Yesterday we had a Social Studies test. A necessary evil, I know. We took the test and moved on with our lives. Yesterday I also corrected said Social Studies tests (and due to the very creative title of this blog, you can see where I'm going with this).
2 papers.
Exactly alike.
Same multiple choice questions wrong.
Same wording in the short answer.
Same words crossed off.
No doubt in my mind that there was some cheating going on.
I was extremely upset. How dare someone cheat on my test! Do they think i'm stupid? What am I going to do? What were they thinking? How did I not see it happening? Oh my God! These kids are driving me crazy! How do I put my foot down. What is fair? WHO CHEATED???...these were all questions bubbling in my brain within 30 seconds of figuring it out.
I made the decision to ask them to confess, if neither did- both would get a zero on the test. Unfair for one person, but I was between a rock and a hard place.
I sent home the zero paper and a note.
Needless to say, I got 2 parent conference requests today :/
One side was very angry, one was very supportive and understanding. I hate being berated by parents for something that is out of my control. What could I have done? I can't think of another way to handle the situation that would've been fair to all parties involved (including the other students that didn't cheat).
Any Ideas? All I have to say is thank God for co-workers because by talking to them I feel reaffirmed that I did the right thing.
On a side note, the blog reached 1000 page views~!~ Thanks to my 5 loyal readers!! haha
xxOOxx

2 comments:

  1. So is it terrible that I am trying to figure out who it was? LOL

    BTW I would have done the same thing!!

    Miss ya!

    Suz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm...right actions taken! Guess everyone (parents/teachers) has a different perspective and take on things. Going through the process of finding a resolution is tough sometimes. Thank you for sharing, Ashley. Reminds me that I shall be aware of it too.

    Hope you are feeling better!

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?