A blog about the trials and tribulations of a new teacher


Thursday, September 22, 2011

Worksheets are the devil

So, I went teacher shopping today because I realized that I needed some posters and other cool stuff. I am realizing that I really like teacher stores and that there are NONE left (except Lakeshore) but that's another post altogether... Anyway, I was looking for a book I had seen online about active learning strategies and/or how to teach History in a not-so-boring way. Out of about ten rows of books, I saw nothing but reproducibles and worksheets. No books explaining how to teach an interesting lesson... just worksheets. I bet there are students somewhere drowning in worksheets. I could plan my whole yearly cirriculum on worksheets alone. But worksheets don't grow dendrites (that's a book btw). I just couldn't believe how many books there were to photocopy for your class. Don't get me wrong, worksheets are good in moderation and for reviewing concepts, but NOT for teaching concepts. What do you think? Do you use a lot of worksheets? Did you actually like doing worksheets as a kid? I didn't. xxOOxx

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?