A blog about the trials and tribulations of a new teacher


Thursday, June 24, 2010

Twinkie Books

It's summer!! (insert cheering children here) This is DEFINATELY my time of year. There are probably a billion reasons I love the summer but here's my top 10...
  1. It's time for Dodger baseball :)
  2. I get to shrug out of those huge sweaters and slip into shorts and cute sundresses
  3. I get to shop during the week so I don't have to deal with the crazy crowds
  4. It's finally warm enought to hit the beach
  5. Summer blockbusters (am I the only one holding my breath for Eclipse?!)
  6. Friends always come home during the summer
  7. vacations
  8. bbq's and water fights
  9. hanging by the pool with a margarita ;P
  10. and like John Travolta said....Oh ohhhh those Suummer niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiights!!
What I like most about summer is that there's time for twinkie books! During the school year, it's all about broccoli books, you know... books that serve an educational purpose. Text books, classics, assigned readings- all broccoli books. I like broccoli books. They're great...in moderation, but who doesn't love the 'i can't put it down,' 'don't talk to me right now,' complete indulgence of a twinkie book?! Twinkie books are the essence of reading. As teachers we try to assign twinkie books to instill the love of reading in our students, but there's nothing better than finding that one book you can't put down.
I love that feeling and have just found my twinkie book series for the summer :)

Caution: The following books are FOR ADULTS ONLY and I'm DEFINATELY not recommending them for your classroom- only for your personal mental health ;P

If you are like me, you have totally fallen for the blood sucking-epic love story-vampire trend as seen in the Twilight series. Maybe, like me, you have read all of the books. Twice. If so have I got the series for you. The Black Dagger Brotherhood series by J.R. Ward is an adult Twilight. I found the seven-book series by recommendation of a few different friends and have already devoured the first four in a matter of two weeks. They are the ultimate twinkie books so don't start them unless you have some extra time to indulge- it's TOTALLY worth it. Lemme know if you agree! (but I know you will)


xxOOXx

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?