A blog about the trials and tribulations of a new teacher


Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Applications, Cover Letters, and Resumes OH MY!!

In the past month I have filled out more applications than I can even count. No, not for teaching jobs but for menial things like substituting, tutoring, and summer positions. Although these jobs will undoubtedly provide me with great experiences, it's just not what I went to school for... I think I have only found two full-time in the classroom teaching jobs to apply for. The catch is that I have ZERO years of teaching experience and there are sooo many teachers with tons of experience that are applying for these same jobs. Poo. I know.

Although, in the process of looking for a career-type job, I have found some other fun jobs to apply for. One of these being a science summer camp which I just finished phone-interviewing for. SUUUPER FUN! I think spending the summer with crazy kids doing exciting science experiments will be fabulous, don't you?! Although I think phone interviews are awkward, this one sounded promising- I hope I sold myself well enough! I should find out in a couple weeks.

Anyway, the job hunt continues as I am constantly and consistently checking up on openings online. Everyday I check three sites:

  • edjoin.com: The official website for job availabilities in LAUSD and many many other districts.
  • craigslist.com: yeah, cliche but there are many openings posted everyday- go figure! You can also find many part-time and tutoring jobs here.
  • la-archdiocese.org: Where the LA Archdiocese posts any openings. I haven't found much there yet, but I'm still hoping!

When I am feeling a bit more hopeful, I'll check a few dozen specific district websites that don't post on edjoin.com such as Burbank Unified, Simi Valley Unified, Pasadena Unified, and Glendale Unified- to name a few. I've also tried Monster.com and careerbuilder.com but there's not much there. If anyone has more ideas, leave a comment and let me know!

Despite all the trials, I know that my classroom is out there somewhere! Certain unnamed sources tell me that more openings are sure to arise after March as that is when teachers report their returning status. Wish me luck and happy hunting!

xxOOxx

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?