A blog about the trials and tribulations of a new teacher


Thursday, March 11, 2010

Subbing, a Blessing in Disguise

I guess by definition, I am currently a 'career substitute teacher.' Although I am frustrated by the lack of actual teaching jobs at the moment, let me just say that I DO love substituting! Subbing is great, in fact, I'll even bullet point the list as to why:
  1. I get to visit new classrooms weekly and see how they are set up and how well the setups work.
  2. I get to steal other teacher's ideas and tricks, such as how they organize their libraries and their little class routines and organization strategies. One teacher hung all of her posters (she had a lot) from hangers and had a rolling rack to keep them organized... better than in a dusty box in my opinion!
  3. I get to meet cool new kids and see them freak out when I call them by name after the first hour. I like to go around and try to see how many names I can memorize by the end of the day and they always are thrown off when I call their name from across the classroom!
  4. Visiting so many different schools gives me a good frame of reference for when I actually am able to choose the school I work at. Also, I'll be able to bring more ideas to my new school of choice- or the Charter school that I'm going to open haha.
  5. I get to put many of my attention-getters and sponge activities into use daily! Not to mention that I get to play games with the kids and it's considered okay because I'm "just a sub."

There are so many reasons I enjoy subbing and I know one day it'll pay off. I pick up so many things that I KNOW I would like to incorporate into my classroom and some things that I now know I would stay away from. Either way, I think subbing is a good use of my time for now.

xxOOxx

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?