A blog about the trials and tribulations of a new teacher


Monday, March 8, 2010

Love Notes

I love Love LOVE invented spelling. I believe that there's nothing more amazing than watching a student trying to make sense of our crazy English language. I mean c'mon there are soooo many sound combinations (ae, oi, th...), special rules (silent e, when two vowels go walking...), and just plain sounds to keep straight! It intrigues me how children think through words and spell the sounds that they hear- just like I've taught them! Sometimes I don't even realize that there is a particular sound in a word until they spell it for me!

*This is a letter I got from Annabelle. She said, "Miss D., I wrote you sentences because I know you like to read sentences." I love it!




I haven't been teaching very long at all, especially when you count up the hours I've spend in any given classroom, yet I have a large box FULL of drawings and little love notes. I consider these a perk of the job! The students take so much time to write them and are so so so proud when they hand them to you. Their little faces light up when you tape one to the board and give them a big smile.
*Here's one that I got on Friday from Xavier. I taught the class how to make symmetrical hearts on Valentine's Day and he took it to another level! I particularly like the drawings ;)
xxOOxx

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?