A blog about the trials and tribulations of a new teacher


Thursday, March 25, 2010

HUGGGSS!!!!

Hugs, Hugs, and MORE HUGS!!!! Oh ,how I love Love LOVE hugs! This is easily one of the best perks about working with the young ones. Not one day goes by that I don't get a gentle squeeze from out of the blue. There is something so genuine and honest about these hugs. They come from the simple desire to show someone love. Unlike adults, who sometimes hug out of respect, simple greeting, or some other ulterior motive, children seem to have this uncomplicated compulsion for hugging. I have noticed that there are a few different types of hugs that I recieve throughout the day


  1. The "Oh My Goodness, I Haven't Seen You In Almost Ten Minutes" Hug: This hug is quick and usually has a small velocity due to the running start. It is usually followed by a breif upward glance and a warm smile. It makes me remember that they really do like me :)
  2. The "Sneak Attack" Hug: This hug is usually unexpected and comes from either the back or sides. I don't know what triggers this hug, but I don't really care either. There is nothing more lovely than realizing that you have a kindergartener (or two) sqqueezing the life out of your legs for no apparent reason.
  3. The "I'm Hurt" Hug: This hug is usually paired with tears due to a fall or hurt feelings. It usually follows a nice pep talk and maybe an ice pack (in extremely life threatning situations). I like this hug because it makes me feel like I have magical healing powers.
  4. The "I Miss My Mommy/Daddy But You'll Do For Now" Hug: This is the saddest hug because sometimes it comes with tears and it always contains the strongest emotions behind it. Unlike the "I'm Hurt" hug, this one isn't fixed as easily. Many children never need this hug, but when they do, it's the most important one of all!
  5. The "I Love You Miss D." Hug: This one is obviously detected. The child will walk up to you, look you in the eyes, and say "I love you Miss D." and give you the biggest hug ever! These always make me smile because of the unabashed declaration of love.

There are more, but these are my favorites.

xxOOxx

2 comments:

  1. Ashley, like I've said before you are such an amazing writer and I feel like I am living through some of your words. You say things so well and wish I could express myself that way. I totally get you on the "Hugs", I love the "sneak attack", I'm use to those! Watch out, I might sneak up on you one of these days...lol

    sujata

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?