A blog about the trials and tribulations of a new teacher


Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Music to my Ears

These five year olds are soooo LOUD! I mean, how can 18 tiny children make my eardrums bleed? I have no idea. We have a quiet jar (aka- ice cream party bribe jar) that encourages them to be quiet when they're on the rug. But during their activity time, I'm at a loss. I am constantly shushing them (you know, that low but ever-present "shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...") to no avail. It was even to the point that some of the kids started telling ME it was to loud.

So what's a poor teacher to do? Play music! I guess I got this genius idea while sleeping or something, but this morning I grabbed my favorite Mozart CD and an instrumental guitar one as well. I thought that maybe the Mozart would lull their kiddie brains into a learning oasis or at the very least the background music might put a cap on the noise level. While it didn't work as well as previously desired, there was a marked difference. I only had to quiet them down twice today! Although, this may have been due to my more relaxed mental state because I was listening to the relaxing music, but whatever works right?? Well, seeing that it was my first day trying it, I'll keep you updated on further testing.

xxOOxx

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?