A blog about the trials and tribulations of a new teacher


Thursday, May 20, 2010

My FAVORITE Story Book EVERRR!!

I love picture books, and I enjoy reading them to kids. The simplicity of the books and their fun stories make them so enjoyable to read. I have many in my own collection that range from classics and fairy tales to newer books and contemporary stories. However, when it comes to reading a picture book to a class, I have one ultimate favorite!!



The Stinky Cheese Man and Other Fairly Stupid Tales by Jon Scieszka and Lane Smith

This book is the most fun "fairy tale" book to read to a class. It's narrator, Jack, has no clue what he's doing. He puts the table of contents before the title page and skips pages in the book. Century-old tales are cut up, ripped apart, and thrown back together haphazardly to create a menagerie of new tales. It is witty, sarcastic, and hilarious.


Caution: this book does say "stupid"(gasp!) several times and the class goes wild. I wouldn't really use it for a read aloud for classes under second or third grade because they might not understand the smart-aleck anecdotes throughout the stories!


xxOOxx

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?